[JPL] interview with Syracuse Jazz Fest director

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Fri Jul 3 11:36:23 EDT 2009

Sadly, it's the attitude that everyone is out to get jazz or doesn't
want to save it that is working against it. Anger and bitterness and
blaming everyone else certainly isn't going to attract sponsors to an
event ... or to an artform for that matter.

There have been some setbacks in jazz and in festivals, but also many
success stories.

Those who were at the JazzWeek Summit saw the huge and growing event
the Rochester International Jazz Festival has become. Business models
change and some things will go by the wayside while others will take
their place. The Rochester festival embraces a broad range of music
from trad jazz to avant garde to mainstream, and it has flourished. No
"jazz police" are dictating what it does.

We all should -- no, we MUST -- banish the phrase "keep jazz alive"
and others like it from our lips. The art form is alive and well and
more vigorous than ever. The business is another thing ... it is
changing at an increasingly rapid rate like everything else, and must
to keep pace with technology and society.