[JPL] Panels for JazzWeek Summit 2010

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Fri Jul 3 12:02:19 EDT 2009

Aloha from Sunny Gilroy,

I would like to put out the call for ideas for panel discussions for the 2010 JazzWeek Summit.  Bobby Jackson and I will be assisting Ed once again in putting the panels together.  While the vast majority of attendees were pleased with the topics we came up with this year, we learned a lot in doing this the first time, and there were many interesting suggestions for next year.  This time we wish to put this together much earlier - the goal being to get a 'first draft' in place by the end of this year, so that we can post it on the Web months in advance, and generate interest in coming from those who haven't ever attended before.  The idea will be to have an agenda in place that might be helpful to programmers to take to their upper management to justify travel.  Also, I hope to be able to attract more artists next year - every year some artists attend, and state afterwards how much they learned or were previous unaware of.  Perhaps having a session like JazzWeek used to do at IAJE for several years, which was a panel of radio programmers geared towards giving advice to artists with respect to putting out CDs and getting radio airplay would be in order.  Also, several of you expressed interest in having a session on fundraising.

Please send your ideas to Bobby or me, now when they are still fresh in your mind from the last Summit, or at any time in the next few months!  We will compile them and start the process of putting together an agenda.

Have a safe and happy 4th!  Don't forget to keep the ketchup at a safe distance from any hot dogs you might make on the grill (if you don't know this, it's a native Chicago thing).

The light is on.

Brad Stone
KSJS-FM
San Jose