[JPL] JzFmS4 PLAYLIST WGBH, BOSTON 7/03/2009

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Jul 4 06:34:01 EDT 2009

Jazz from Studio Four
Friday, July 3, 8pm–midnight, WGBH 89.7 Boston

JOHNNY COLES (b. 7/3/1926)
JOHNNY HARTMAN (b. 7/3/1923)
WHAT'S NEW ON CD

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
David "Fathead" Newman: SKJ, The Blessing (HighNote)
Sean Lyons: Bonnie Rose, Roar of Lyons (Positone)
Jerry Bergonzi: Out of Nowhere, Simply Put (Savant)

8:26pm
John Coltrane; Johnny Hartman:
They Say It's Wonderful; You Are Too Beautiful; Lush Life,
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (Impulse)

8:47pm
Kurt Elling: Lush Life, Dedicated To You (Concord)
Sadeo Watanabe; The Great Jazz Trio: Chelsea Bridge, I'm Old Fashioned (Test of Time Records)
Grant Stewart: Something To Live For, Plays the Music of Ellington & Strayhorn (Sharp Nine)

9:08pm
Johnny Coles: Heavy Legs, Little Johnny C (Blue Note)
Johnny Coles: Come Rain or Come Shine, The Warm Sound (Epic/Koch Jazz)
Johnny Coles: New Morning, New Morning (Criss Cross)

9:52pm
Duke Pearson; featuring Johnny Coles: Little Waltz, Prairie Dog (Atlantic/Koch Jazz)
Geri Allen; featuring Johnny Coles: Old Folks, Some Aspects of Water (Storyville)
Horace Parlan; featuring Johnny Coles: Dexi (J. Coles), Happy Frame of Mind (Blue Note)

9:56pm
Johnny Hartman: I'll Never Smile Again; I Should Care; Close Your Eyes,
the Johnny Hartman Collection 1947-1972 (Hip-O)
Johnny Hartman: Easy Living; For All We Know, Once In Every Life (Bee Hive LP)

10:19pm
Lee Konitz; @ RegattaBar, Cambridge, MA., July 8, 2009:
You Go To My Head, The Real Lee Konitz (32 Jazz)
Lee Konitz: Languid, Yes, Yes Nonet (Steeplechase)
Lee Konitz: She's As Wild As Springtime, Wild As Springtime (Candid)

10:43pm
Stephen Riley: Israel, Once Upon A Dream (Steeplechase)
Ari Ambrose: Let's Cool One, Talk of The Town (Steeplechase)
Ari Ambrose; Stephen Riley: Punjab, Tenor Treats (Steeplechase)

11:09pm
Gil Evans; featuring Johnny Coles: Willow Tree; Bird Feathers, New Bottle Old Wine (Pacific Jazz)
Gil Evans; featuring Johnny Coles: Sunken Treasure, Out of The Cool (Impulse)
Gil Evans; featuring Johnny Coles: El Toreador, The Individualism of Gil Evans (Verve)
James Moody; featuring Johnny Coles: Richard's Blues, Return From Overbrook (Chess)

11:36pm
Warren Wolf: Body and Soul (Coltrane Version), Raw Wolf Pac (Warren Wolf Music)
Edward Simon: Giant Steps, Poesia (CAM Jazz)
Steve Kuhn; with Joe Lovano: Like Sonny, Mostly Coltrane (ECM)

11:55pm
Johnny Coles: If I Should Lose You, The Warm Sound (Epic/Koch Jazz)