[JPL] Weather Channel nixes smooth jazz

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Sat Jul 4 10:53:20 EDT 2009

  Weather Channel nixes smooth jazz

Published: July 3, 2009 at 7:09 PM

U.S. cable network the Weather Channel has announced an end to the
smooth jazz playing in the background of its "Local on the 8s" segments.

Geoffrey Darby, who joined the network as executive vice president of
programming in February, said the segments will now feature soft rock
songs instead of the smooth jazz that has accompanied the local weather
segments for years, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Friday.

"I think we've been doing an injustice to our viewers playing, for the
lack of a better word, elevator music on the segments for all these
years," Darby said.

"People would have it on but they wouldn't be watching and they wouldn't
be listening," he said of the segments. "We wanted music that would get
their attention -- and this has."

He said songs featured in the "Local on the 8s" segments now include
tunes by The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers Band and Devo.

Darby said the switch has received an "80 percent approval rating" from
viewers.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations