[JPL] WWUH presents live broadcasts of Hartford jazz series, beginning July 6

cobuchow at aol.com cobuchow at aol.com
Mon Jul 6 12:32:34 EDT 2009

Hartford, Connecticut boasts the longest continuously-running free outdoor jazz series in the U.S. For over 40 years,?music fans have enjoyed the Monday Night Jazz Series in Bushnell Park during July and August.

WWUH (91.3 FM), Public Alternative Radio at the University of Hartford, has a long association with the nonprofit Bushnell Park jazz series. This year, WWUH will be offering live broadcasts of all four July concerts, beginning this evening, July 6, at 6 pm. Tonight's?headliners, The Afro-Semetic Experience, will be taking the stage at 7:30, following the George Blackman Quartet's opening set.?Listeners outside the 91.3 broadcast range can?catch the performances?online: visit?http://wwuh.org to connect to the web stream.

The Hartford Jazz Society is?producing the Bushnell Park Monday Night Jazz Series for the second year in a row, following the retirement of series founder Paul Brown in 2007. A link to the Monday Night jazz?schedule can be found at WWUH's home page, or you may go directly to the Jazz Society's home page: http://www.hartfordjazzsociety.com/ .?

I'd love to get feedback from any JPLers who tune in for the broadcasts, or anyone who's had the pleasure of?experiencing this series?in person. The series holds many fond memories for me.?For instance, the only?time I heard?the Bill Evans Trio live was at the Bushnell Park Series during the summer of 1979.

Many?jazz greats have?performed?at Hartford's?Monday Night Jazz Series?over the years.?Among them: Charles Mingus, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Herbie Hancock and the?Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra.

If?you're in attendance at?one of this?month's Bushnell Park concerts, be sure to stop by and say hello to?the WWUH broadcasting team!

Yours in Music,

Chuck Obuchowski
WWUH Jazz Music Director
200 Bloomfield Ave.
West Hartford, CT? 06117
http://wwuh.org
860-768-4701
e-mail: cobuchow at aol.com
office hours:?Tuesdays, noon - 4 pm, Eastern.?