[JPL] The Jazz Session #65: Kate Schutt!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jul 6 18:20:46 EDT 2009

Hello friends,

We just got back from a lovely four days of camping on Cape Cod. I took
my older son to his first Red Sox game. We ate seafood. Hung out on the
beach. And I got a killer sunburn. All in all, a great vacation.

Even while I was gone, The Jazz Session kept chugging along. This week's
guest is singer-songwriter Kate Schutt. She's wonderful, and I encourage
you to check out the show. See below for details.

In the weeks ahead: Miles Okazaki, Arturo O'Farrill, E.J. Strickland,
Gene Ludwig ... and many more!

If you're a regular reader of this newsletter, you know that I'm riding
in the Livestrong Challenge ride in Philly in August, and I'm asking for
your help to raise $1,000 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, which uses
the money to help people who are fighting cancer.

This week, my grandfather passed away at the age of 96. He had bladder
cancer, and it had spread to several other places in his body. He didn't
want any more treatment or surgeries, and he died peacefully in his
sleep on Tuesday. My grandfather was my hero when I was a kid, and he
introduced me to big band music and jazz. He also took me to my first
jazz concert. I named my first son, Bernie, after him. So in addition to
the other members of my family who've been impacted by cancer, I'll be
riding in August in honor of Bernard Orrin Joseph Flanders.

To help encourage you to donate to my ride, I'll be raffling prizes in
August. Every $5 you donate (including all donations prior to this
message) will earn you a raffle ticket. I'll have signed CDs, LPs and
more to give away. And if I make my $1,000 goal, I'll shave my head. So
please pitch in! It all goes to a GREAT cause.

Here's how you can help:

1. Please visit my fundraising page at
http://philly09.livestrong.org/jasoncrane and donate whatever you can to
help me in the fight against cancer. And if you can make it to Philly on
August 23, you should also consider signing up for the race yourself.
Again, the link is http://philly09.livestrong.org/jasoncrane

2. If you're a musician or a record promoter or an agent, and you're
able to donate CDs, t-shirts, concert tickets, autographed items, etc.,
I'll be holding a fundraising raffle in August to raise money for my
ride. If you would like to donate something to the cause, please contact
me at jason at thejazzsession.com.

Thank you in advance for whatever you can contribute.

And now, on to the update...

*********************************
*** NEW EPISODE! ***
*********************************

THE JAZZ SESSION #65: KATE SCHUTT. Jason Crane interviews
singer/songwriter Kate Schutt about her album Telephone Game
(ArtistShare, 2009). Schutt has walked a different path than the average
musician. She went to Harvard, where she played Division I lacrosse and
hockey. She also went to the Berklee College of Music to hone her jazz
chops. She speaks Chinese because her high school offered it. She’s an
American, but she lives in Guelph, Ontario, a place she describes as the
“Austin, Texas of Canada.” And on Telephone Game, she let her fans
contribute to the songwriting process. Learn more at KateSchutt.com.

HOW TO LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

*********************************
SITE OF THE WEEK
*********************************

As you know, All About Jazz and The Jazz Session are now partners. If
you'd like to feature the latest episode of The Jazz Session on your own
Web site or blog, AAJ has created a widget for The Jazz Session. You can
get the widget here:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/live/lc_podcasts.txt

If you put the widget on your site, let me know and I'll mention your
site on the show and in this newsletter.

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer