[JPL] Portland's Waterfront Blues Festival

TradeSecrets/Mancuso's TradeSecrets at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 01:46:19 EDT 2009

Reporting in on a couple of very strong performances, outdoors, on the banks
of the Willamette River ­ HOT fun in the summertime.  In four days, we
raised $500,000 and tons of food for the Oregon Food Bank!!

Robben Ford¹s trio was a complete surprise and a wonderful ensemble show.
It was the blues and it was electric, displaying excellent musiciansmanship.
I swear the drummer channeled Keith Moon. Robben didn¹t sing much or play
material from his older recordings.  He did do a Danny Gatton piece to great
affect.  Personally, I¹ve never been that into him, even though we're from
the same area and I¹ve seen him many times over many years.  This afternoon
performance changed my mind.

Karl Denson¹s Tiny Universe, wow are they cool!  Got everybody moving as the
sun set behind the buildings downtown and evening was coming in.  Did
material from all over the place.  Special props go to their song choice of
³Lookout² a Bill Champlin/Sons of Champlin tune.  Karl even did a long
back-announce about why he picked it.  Some of us old Sons fans were caught
screaming ŒAmen¹ after that!   I wasn¹t sure how this group would play with
the crowd but they took care of business just fine.

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings closed the Fest and showed, again, why they are
so well respected for their live show.  Her ³I Want You Back² was mighty
sweet & strong!

Next year, think about coming to Portland and spreading out your blanket
with us!   You can sign-up for email notices here:

http://waterfrontbluesfest.com/

³Ain¹t no peace in the barnyard, good people, since that little red rooster
been gone²  Willie Dixon

Ciao,

Jan

Trade Secrets Consulting/KMHD 89.1