[JPL] Trombonist Bobby Pring R.I.P.

Carol Sudhalter carolsudhalter at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:33:55 EDT 2009

I just received word from Loren Schoenberg that Bobby Pring died late
Wednesday afternoon. He had been in declining health since his longtime
companion Anita Berman passed away a few months back. Loren was with
him a month or so ago in Florida when the doctor told him that without
a heart operation (valve replacement/by-pass) he wouldn't last more
than six months or so. He eventually opted for the operation, but,
sadly, it didn't pan out, and over the last few weeks he declined
precipitously.

Loren continues:

"There'll be a small funeral done through the VA in Florida shortly, and
Loren will be organizing something up here, probably in August."

Pass the info on as appropriate.

I just want to add that in the half-hour or so since I posted this on facebook, I got some really beautiful comments:

Dorothy Kellogg, my late brother Richard's companion: "Bobby was one of the most attentive friends Richard ever had. After
Richard's stroke, Bobby called him every third Tuesday of the month for
almost four years. Even when Richard was in Mary Manning Walsh, Bobby
called a few times and had one way conversations to cheer Richard up.
He will be missed. I have some great photos of him playing at Paumanok
Vineyard."

Critic Chip Deffaa: "I'm glad you posted this, Carol. Bobby was one of the unsung guys who's
kept the music going with professionalism and good cheer, whether in
big bands or in small groups (lik at Eddie Condon's Club, and Jimmy
Ryan's); I'm playing some recordings he's on today, just as a way of
remembering."

Saxophonist Doug Lawrence: "Bobby was one of my all-time favorite musicians and people. His
optimism was infectious and his lyrical playing was always fresh and
inspiring. A true gentleman 24/7. I'll always remember our tour of
Europe together with Buck Clayton back in 1991. There are two great
recordings with Buck that you can hear some vintage Bobby Pring - "Live
at The Village Vangaurd" on NagelHayer and "A Swingin' Dream" on Stash.
He loved Jack Jenny. RIP Bobby."