[JPL] len dobbin

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:07:30 EDT 2009

Len and I exchanged emails for a few years before I met him. I was reviewing the Montreal Jazz Festival about 4 years ago and I gave Len a heads up that I'd be in Montreal. He invited me to meet him at the radio station and we hung out for a couple of hours while he did his show. It was fun to see how he prepped for his program, and how he would occasionally improvise and make last minute changes. He was also a great storyteller and I learned a lot about the scene in Montreal just by listening to him ruminate about the early days. He was a generous, gentle man who had been through a lot in his life, and I was always happy to see him pop up in my in box. He genuinely loved music and he did right by those who inspired him.

Rest in peace, Len. The world was a better place with you in it.

Larry