[JPL] len dobbin

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Jul 9 19:22:13 EDT 2009

Sad news indeed. Len showed up at the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival
every year, always at the most interesting events. Clearly a man whose
ears were keen and alive and as many have mentioned already, a real friend
to jazz everywhere, not just in Montreal. I saw him come into Muddy
Waters, a local favorite coffee joint in Burlington, Vermont, with a woman
friend on each arm, his "guardian angels Dorothee Berryman and Monique
Fauteux" talking and entertaining, before catching that evening's Discover
Jazz show at the Flynn.

Preparing a tribute to him (on our first night of the current fund drive)
tonight I opened my copy of vocalist Dorothee Berryman's "P.S. I Love You"
and found her hand written note that began "Dear Mr. Thomas, Len Dobbin
suggested that I send you my new CD..." That was typical of Len, always
making the connections, always a friend to jazz. VPR reaches into Montreal
and many listeners who called me mentioned his show. I kept an eye on his
playlists for ideas. I'll miss him & them.

Another jazz DJ lurker on this list, David Beckett, knew Len well and when
I called David on his cell phone about an hour ago, said he was just going
into a Montreal radio station to be part of a tribute to Len Dobbin. Maybe
David will share more stories later.

What will I play to remember him? Sheila Jordan's "Winter Sunshine" CD
recorded at Upstairs (club where he passed)in Montreal; the aforementioned
Dorothee Berryman and possibly Charlie Biddle "In Good Company"

My thoughts and best wishes to his family and large circle of friends and
listeners. We'll all miss Len.

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Ave
Colchester, VT 05446

802-654-4343
jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net
Mon-Thu 8-10pm,Fri 9pm-mid

> Len and I exchanged emails for a few years before I met him. I was
reviewing the Montreal Jazz Festival about 4 years ago and I gave Len a
heads up that I'd be in Montreal. He invited me to meet him at the radio
station and we hung out for a couple of hours while he did his show. It
was fun to see how he prepped for his program, and how he would
> occasionally improvise and make last minute changes. He was also a great
storyteller and I learned a lot about the scene in Montreal just by
listening to him ruminate about the early days. He was a generous,
gentle
> man who had been through a lot in his life, and I was always happy to
see
> him pop up in my in box. He genuinely loved music and he did right by
those who inspired him.

> Rest in peace, Len. The world was a better place with you in it.
>
> Larry
>

>> I didn't know Len personally, but just a couple of weeks ago I enjoyed
an exchange with him about Dick Twardzik after seeing that he'd
featured
>> the pianist on his show.
>> Condolences to all on the list who knew Len and appreciated his passion
for the music and the profession.
Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com

jazz at vpr.net
www.vpr.net