[JPL] len dobbin

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jul 10 15:11:54 EDT 2009

We're in Montreal this weekend and it's impressive to see how much
respect is being paid to Len around the festival and throughout the
city.  His death was the top story in the local news last night at 11,
which included interviews with the head chef and the owner of the
Upstairs Jazz Club and with Andre Menard of the festival.  And his
obituary is prominent in today's Montreal Gazette.  I'm also running
into people somewhat randomly around town who knew him well.

Tom

George Thomas wrote:
> [...]
> Jazz show at the Flynn.
>
> Preparing a tribute to him (on our first night of the current fund drive)
> tonight I opened my copy of vocalist Dorothee Berryman's "P.S. I Love You"
> and found her hand written note that began "Dear Mr. Thomas, Len Dobbin
> suggested that I send you my new CD..." That was typical of Len, always
> making the connections, always a friend to jazz. VPR reaches into Montreal
> and many listeners who called me mentioned his show. I kept an eye on his
> playlists for ideas. I'll miss him & them.
>
> Another jazz DJ lurker on this list, David Beckett, knew Len well and when
> I called David on his cell phone about an hour ago, said he was just going
> into a Montreal radio station to be part of a tribute to Len Dobbin. Maybe
> David will share more stories later.
>
> What will I play to remember him? Sheila Jordan's "Winter Sunshine" CD
> recorded at Upstairs (club where he passed)in Montreal; the aforementioned
> Dorothee Berryman and possibly Charlie Biddle "In Good Company"
>
> My thoughts and best wishes to his family and large circle of friends and
> listeners. We'll all miss Len.
>
> George
>
> Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
> Vermont Public Radio
> 365 Troy Ave
> Colchester, VT 05446
>
> 802-654-4343
> jazz at vpr.net
> www.vpr.net
> Mon-Thu 8-10pm,Fri 9pm-mid
>
>> Len and I exchanged emails for a few years before I met him. I was
>>
> reviewing the Montreal Jazz Festival about 4 years ago and I gave Len a
> heads up that I'd be in Montreal. He invited me to meet him at the radio
> station and we hung out for a couple of hours while he did his show. It
> was fun to see how he prepped for his program, and how he would
>
>> occasionally improvise and make last minute changes. He was also a great
>>
> storyteller and I learned a lot about the scene in Montreal just by
> listening to him ruminate about the early days. He was a generous,
> gentle
>
>> man who had been through a lot in his life, and I was always happy to
>>
> see
>
>> him pop up in my in box. He genuinely loved music and he did right by
>>
> those who inspired him.
>
>> Rest in peace, Len. The world was a better place with you in it.
>>
>> Larry
>>

>>> I didn't know Len personally, but just a couple of weeks ago I enjoyed
>>>
> an exchange with him about Dick Twardzik after seeing that he'd
> featured
>
>>> the pianist on his show.
>>> Condolences to all on the list who knew Len and appreciated his passion
>>>
> for the music and the profession.
>
>>> Tom
>>> --
>>> Tom Reney
>>> "Jazz à la Mode"
>>> Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.
>>> WFCR
>>> NPR News and Music for Western New England
>>> 413-545-3220 office

--
Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"