[JPL] Reality

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 19:17:44 EDT 2009

I was in a record store the other day. Mom and pop venue with a nice jazz selection. They were playing a relatively unknown jazz artist in the store. To the general public this artist may not be that known but would be to many on this list. I knew who it was. The conversation I over heard went like this...Customer: "Is that Herbie Hancock? I didn't know he had something new out so I definitely have to get it. How much?" The counter person: "It's not Herbie" and told them who it was. Customer: It's not Herbie?" Counter person: "Nope." Customer:"Oh well...thought I had me some new Herbie."

The stunning thing about this is that they LIKED the music but once they didn't recognize the name...the artist was toast. Didn't even give it a second look. That's how stupid it is out here now.

Jae Sinnett