[JPL] Press release from JazzTimes

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Mon Jul 13 23:20:53 EDT 2009

  For Immediate Release

Madavor Media Acquires JazzTimes

With the mainstream media swamped with stories of print magazines
folding, the story of the re-launch of JazzTimes magazine under new
ownership by Madavor Media is a positive tale of determination and
vision. On July 10, 2009, Madavor Media, a market-leading enthusiast
publishing and trade-show group based in Boston, acquired the JazzTimes
brand and effective immediately will resume publishing the influential
music magazine and its Web site jazztimes.com.

JazzTimes was founded in 1970 by Washington, D.C.-based record-store
owner Ira Sabin, who started the publication as a newsletter for his
store, eventually changing its name from Radio Free Jazz to JazzTimes.
The list of contributors to the magazine during its nearly 40-year
history reads like a Who’s Who of modern jazz journalism—including
Leonard Feather, Stanley Dance, Martin Williams, Ira Gitler, Dan
Morgenstern, Stanley Crouch, Nat Hentoff, Gary Giddins, Amiri Baraka,
Harvey Pekar, Nate Chinen and Ashley Kahn. The publication has won
numerous awards for its content and design, and the All-Music Guide has
called JazzTimes “arguably the number-one jazz magazine in the world.”
"We are honored to have the opportunity to expand our portfolio with
this remarkable and respected publication," says Jeffrey C. Wolk,
chairman and CEO of Madavor Media. "Because of our experience and
industry partnerships, we are well-positioned to serve jazz enthusiasts
and to build on the impressive business started by Ira Sabin."
“As an established, quality-directed, enthusiast consumer media company,
we feel that Madavor Media is the perfect choice as the new steward of
the JazzTimes brand. Madavor Media is a successful, growing publisher
with the resources and efficiencies that will enable our 39-year-old
franchise to provide expanded services to our dedicated readers and
advertising clients alike”, says JazzTimes publisher and CEO Glenn Sabin.

"In each issue of JazzTimes, we will continue to deliver the news and
information that readers and advertisers expect from the world's leading
jazz publication," says Madavor Media's VP/Group Publisher Susan
Fitzgerald. "With our experience in circulation, distribution,
production, and promotion, Madavor plans to take the JazzTimes brand to
new heights."

Current Editor-in-Chief Lee Mergner and Managing Editor Evan Haga will
remain with the publication to maintain continuity and connection within
the jazz community. “For Evan and I, this is a great opportunity to
reinvent the magazine in the face of so many interesting challenges,”
says Mergner. “And we look forward to the synergy with the other titles
in the Madavor stable of publications.” Jeff Sabin and Eric Adams will
continue as the magazine’s advertising-account representatives.

The next issue will feature a cover story on saxophonist Joe Lovano, as
well as a piece by investigative reporter Marc Hopkins on the effect of
the current economic climate on jazz festivals. The first issue bearing
the real imprint of Madavor will be the September issue, which
spotlights jazz guitar including stories on John Scofield, Nels Cline
and George Benson, plus lots more. JazzTimes also publishes an annual
Jazz Education Guide, filled with valuable information and material for
students, parents, and educators.

Madavor Media publishes other titles and manages trade shows that are
number one in their respective fields in the sports and enthusiast
markets. Through its print and digital magazines, trade shows, websites,
e-mail newsletters, and other partnerships across the publishing
industry, Madavor offers unique ways to communicate with passionate
consumers who are eager to learn more about products and events that
support their interests.

For more information, contact:

Joan Lynch
Director, Madavor Media