[JPL] Billie and Dinah?

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Jul 14 07:34:48 EDT 2009

I've never read a reference to an actual performance or sitting-in
situation between Dinah and Billie.  From early on, Dinah was
appreciated for the way she utilized the influence of Bessie Smith,
gospel singer/pianist Roberta Martin, and Lady Day.  Dinah had a
renowned way of imitating Billie that she began honing during her high
school years and would later feature in concerts in response to audience
requests.  She also imitated Billie in occasionally wearing a white
flower in her hair for public appearances and publicity photos.

--
Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"

WFCR