[JPL] Experts talk on the state of jazz in Las Vegas

ron-gill at att.net ron-gill at att.net
Wed Jul 15 23:56:25 EDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Dr. Jazz wrote:

> Interesting comment from the smooth jazzer:  "...what jazz was and
> what jazz needs to become..."
> -Dr.

    If this is the only thing this panel could conclude from their
symposium, well,they are not saying anything
    new. Same old comments about educating students (young people )
early, what jazz was and is today,
    and the old comment about jazz being an art form and we should
preserve it. OK...now what? Any ideas
    on how you stop the bleeding?
    All of us, involved in this music, producing it, airing it,
promoting it, etc. have the responsibility  to come
    up with the answers.
    First thing, all of us mature guys on JPL remember when listening
to the radio back in the day, all the music
    was played on radio stations and programs. Alongside Brubeck or
Shearing we heard Sinatra and Laine.
    It was a mix of Spike Jones and Duke. That is how the listener
learned about all the music that was
    available to them. Then, they chose what they liked. Everything
today is programmed to a small segment
    of the listening audience, and we know what that audience is
hearing. It isn't that all of it is bad, it's just
    that they have no idea of the vast amount of quality music that
is out there for them to chose from.
    That is where the discussion should start. How do you program
music in as wide a spectrum that you can
    and still maintain a quality of music that the listener can hook
onto.
    Ideas?  Let's talk about that.
    Ron Gill
    Singer/consultant