[JPL] Jazz in Film

Larry Thomas lrt0393 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:51:51 EDT 2009

I just previewed the film My Name is Albert Ayler, a chilling, eye-opening sad look

at a tortured soul and saxophonist named Albert Ayler.  It was produced by a Swedish filmmaker named Kasper Collin who gives it a highly sympathetic slant and one that is

needed in today's cinema world.  I am scheduled to lead a post-discussion talk

this September 15 when it will be shown here at the Sonja Stone Black Cultural Center

at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Most jazz musicians don't speak

too kindly of him.  I thought the film was quite impressive.  Has anybody else

seen it?

Larry Reni Thomas

Host

Sunday Night Jazz