[JPL] Jazz On Film

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jul 17 07:50:53 EDT 2009

Coincidentally, we're just putting the finishing touches on a jazz film
series collaboration between WFCR and Amherst Cinema, a non-profit
theater complex.  The series begins September 1 with "Anita O'Day: The
Life of a Jazz Singer."  On October 6 we'll screen "Thelonious Monk:
Straight, No Chaser;" and on November 3, "'Round Midnight."  I'll
introduce the films and moderate a Q&A afterwards.  There'll be a live
music component to the evenings as well.  The series will resume in
March and continue on a monthly basis throughout 2010.

Speaking of documentaries, George Schuller has directed an outstanding
new film on Music Inn and the School of Jazz, the groundbreaking concert
venue and educational institution that was based in Lenox, Massachusetts
in the 1950's.  (Lenox is the site of Tanglewood, the summer home of the
Boston Symphony Orchestra and, on Labor Day weekends, the Tanglewood
Jazz Festival.)  Schuller's film is not in theatrical release yet, but
he screened it last April at Amherst College and the Boston Public
Library.  http://www.musicinnfilm.com/

This past Tuesday, I attended a reading in Lenox by Jeremy Yudkin, a
Boston University professor who's written a book entitled "The Lenox
School of Jazz: A Vital Chapter in the History of American Music and
Race Relations."   This nicely illustrated and footnoted volume features
interviews with some of the principles in the Music Inn/School of Jazz
enterprise, and several of its illustrious faculty and students,
including Sonny Rollins, Gunther Schuller, Ornette Coleman, and Randy
Weston.  Here's a link to the book at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenox-School-Jazz-American-Relations/dp/0978908910

--
Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"