[JPL] Experts talk on the state of jazz in Las Vegas

ron-gill at att.net ron-gill at att.net
Fri Jul 17 11:24:06 EDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Joseph Baione wrote:

    From the outset, I agree, jazz is not the 'only'  true American
art form,
    and we do not exclude the blues in that statement. But, we have to
    find ways to expose young people, that is our future, to the arts
as we
    know it. If we don't then we are really in trouble in this
country for
    future generations.
    The comments made here by Jae and Bobby are the stories told by
    many of us on this list. Ask any artist in jazz how they
discovered the
    music and the stories will be similar.
    Bobby is correct, people come to music in different ways. Young
people
    pass their music around via their technological devices. Actually
no different
    than we did, just a different medium.
    But, what bothered me about this symposium was that I heard no
attempt to
    figure out how to get people attracted to jazz, or good music in
general.
    Yes, Jae, that is a task, to get those listeners engaged, but
what has your
    R&B Chronicles done to bring people to your program? Do you slip
in some
    jazz artists to open some of those ears?
    Maybe Jazz Week needs to have a discussion on this, but without
accepting
    the old way of thinking, but finding new ways to expose jazz to
the listener.
    Ron Gill
    singer/consultant