[JPL] Experts talk on the state of jazz in Las Vegas

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Fri Jul 17 13:07:16 EDT 2009

Ron Gill wrote...

at has your
    R&B Chronicles done to bring people to your program? Do you slip
in some
    jazz artists to open some of those ears?

That's a great thought Ron!

 I did a special on Michael Jackson after he passed using tunes he performed or wrote that were covered by jazz artists, i.e. "Remember The Time" by Clark Terry or "Never Can Say Goodbye" by Rahsaan Roland Kirk, "I Can't Help It" by Janis Siegel among others.  I started the show off explaining that the base of musicians that created the Motown sound were the Funk Brothers who were actually many of the jazz musicians that resided in and around the Detroit area, hence,  No Jazz, no Motown.  People like guitarist Tommy Tedesco, pianist Joe Sample, The Mizell Brothers, James Jamerson and others really defined that sound who's roots are based in jazz.

Just that simple, nuanced thought might convert lovers of R & B to actually check out some of the jazz musicians that contributed to the sound of Motown.  There has recently been a wave of friends from everywhere on Facebook sending me to You Tube to check out the roots of the Moonwalk that Michael Jackson popularized most recently.  There were all kinds of dancers on display from the Nicholas Brothers, to Fred Astaire to Sammy Davis Jr. etc.   I'm sure many didn't know that Michael Jackson wasn't the first to do the moonwalk.  I'm sure that many are checking out what went before Michael as a dancer because of it.

Had to comment Ron on your post.  Great thought....I think if you played jazz songs related to your focused artist of the week right before R & B Chronicles aired you might generate more interest flowing both ways.  What are your thoughts Jae?  I'll get my popcorn ready to listen.....

Bobby Jackson