[JPL] Las Vegas Jazz "Symposium"

John Nasshan kunvjazzwithjohn at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 13:21:56 EDT 2009

The event that has you riled up, was a moderator driven panel discussion during a Jazz Appreciation class. We were simply answering the questions we received from the moderator. The "State" of Jazz in Las Vegas is as it is in the rest of the United States: the public does not venture out to support the music and the musicians like they used to. I happen to agree with Jae Sinnett in that it is almost impossible to please audiences with the attention span of a "lightnening bolt" with real Jazz. We live in a time when the people spending the money in clubs are into 'non-music' music, and those that would eagerly spend to go out and hear live Jazz are budgeted to the penny to live their lives.

We must find a way to reach the youngsters, but not solely on their terms. It has become incumbent on us to find a compromise that gets them their "instant gratification" and helps them into "our" world of Jazz. There is a concept that we need to address.

The quotes that were posted on JPL from our discussion were taken out of context, therefore misunderstood. If any of you had ben there, you would have found that the people in attendance were more eager to seek out live Jazz than they were before we started. It was a good day, and I wish a full transcript was available for you all to read.

Music Peace and Happiness...........John Nasshan

Join me for the best of Jazz on KUNV 91.5fm:
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm to 6pm
Fridays from 10am to 2pm...and
Every Monday for "Las Vegas Arts Alive" at 6pm
I'll see you on the Radio!
KUNV is streaming online at www.kunv.org