[JPL] Experts talk on the state of jazz in Las Vegas

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 13:32:32 EDT 2009

Two points Bobby...in reference to the R&B connection...the "jazz" renditions of say Michael or other artists in the genre is a great idea. I do think though for that show to have an impact on lets say..swaying some towards jazz, I think it mainly depends on how effective your commentary is. The music alone won't do it I believe but you can use the commentary to guide them. That's important in a show like that as I've found out with the Chronicles and as I'm sure you know. At some point I will start producing a few Chronicle shows that will focus on the soul/jazz/R&B connection. That was deep really because most of the soul artist before 1970 dealt with jazz at some level or came from jazz.

The food thing is unbelievable. Have you ever checked out "Jazzcooks?" Do you remember that book? It was a collection of recipes by jazz artists. Now that I have a major cooking element on my Sunday show I will seek out this book to try to use for premiums for our drives. I'm also putting one together of my recipes. There is a deep connection here as well to food and jazz and another area where the Crescent City had a major impact. Chicago too. I'm surprised actually that more don't pursue the jazz/cooking avenue. On our PBS station the most watched program is the Saturday morning cooking show. I'm in the process now of producing a cooking show pilot for TV. I say find someway to connect the jazz to food and drink and you'll be amazed at the positive results for your jazz programming.

Jae Sinnett