[JPL] Las Vegas Jazz "Symposium"

ron-gill at att.net ron-gill at att.net
Fri Jul 17 13:40:06 EDT 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 1:21 PM, John Nasshan wrote:

> JAZZWEEK SUMMIT 2010: JUNE 17-19, RADISSON RIVERSIDE HOTEL,
> ROCHESTER N.Y. -- Mark your calendar!

> ********

    Thanks for your comments and an insight into the symposium. As in
my last post, I
    said perhaps there was more to it than we read here on JPL.
    I was not riled up...just disappointed in what I read. But, the
subject is one that I have
    been concerned about and try to read about constantly to keep me
informed.
    There are lots of listeners out there who have become disengaged
from radio and
    other outlets that can give them the jazz they loved. I used to
be surprised how many
    folks did not know that WGBH was producing jazz everyday of the
week on the radio.
    There are many reasons why all this has changed, and we could
talk about it until
    we were blue, but all that being said, each producer doing jazz
programming has to
    take a hard look at how they are presenting it, and how to get
those listeners to become
    part of their listenership. I know guys are doing it here, not
implying they are not, but we
    have to think outside of the box. And, that includes those of us
performing the music as well.
    Ron Gill