[JPL] Experts talk on the state of jazz in Las Vegas

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 14:03:18 EDT 2009

I figured you did Bobby. Funny. I know you're in to it for real. That's a great book Ron...if you speak with Bob again please tell him I've gotten some great mileage out of his book.

Another example of how I connect food to the music...and using commentary...Last Sunday I gave out my version of a chimichurri sauce. It's a sauce that most believe originated out of Argentina although it spread out far beyond Argentina. The first time I experienced it when I was in Bogota Colombia and loved it so I learned how to make my version of it. One legend has it that there was this Scotsman named Jimmy McCurry that traveled with soldiers down there. He created this sauce but supposedly the natives had difficulty in pronouncing his name and the result was "Chimichurri." This isn't to be confused with the chimichurri burger out of the Dominican Republic.

Sharing this story with my listeners gave me a great in for Latin jazz and I recommended some things for them. I used words like spicy and hot and soulful. That's how I view the sauce and the music.

Jae