[JPL] Jazz food

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jul 17 15:25:22 EDT 2009

"Struttin'" is a natural for a list like this, but I wrote to Dan
Morgenstern a couple of weeks ago to have him clarify a point he makes in
his notes to the recent Mosaic release of Louis Armstrong's Decca
recordings.  About "Struttin' With Some Barbecue," Dan writes "not, by the
way, a food reference-- it means showing off with a pretty girl on your
arm."   I pointed out that Pops himself calls it the "vittles song" on his
1955 Crescendo Club performance; Dan replied that Louis "by then just
assumed everyone would think food-- 1955 was a long way from 1920's
Chicago!"

How about:

Jimmy Smith
Back at the Chicken Shack