[JPL] regarding exposing young people to jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 11:42:03 EDT 2009

Lenore, Ron,

That's a great age group to reach. You see it in their faces. High school age is a radically different story. I had a senior recently ask me in a discussion why he should like Duke Ellington? He didn't like the music I played. Fair enough. I told him he didn't have to like Duke's music but there are valid reasons why he should respect and appreciate his life and accomplishments.

My theme of that class was "choices"...the choices we make and how they affect us and those around us. I held up a photo to him of Duke wearing a suit. The student had the baggy pants on down to the crack of his bojankski with the hat on sideways IN the classroom (One could debate the teachers role here but that's for another discussion). I told him that the choice in what he wore to school that day would bring the appreciation of only those that dress like that...consequently making his world limited to this concept. Now if you dressed like Duke in this photo you will be perceived as being intelligent, sophisticated and business like. The conversation then quickly turned to "insecurities." The student said..."well, that's not my style. No one will look at me any differently if I dressed like that." I said okay but that's your "choice." If you think small...you stay small.

I told them jazz is about thinking big from the artists perspective. It's not about repeating fads or trends but finding an original voice...or should be. It's not about repeating history or shouldn't be but finding new avenues of expression with new and familiar material. I asked the student what was totally unique to him? He really couldn't answer the question. I said when you hear Duke's music...you hear "Duke's" music. That was unique to HIM but again he didn't have to like his music. I also told him that everyone won't embrace new ideas or thoughts or originality but like a jazz musician you have to have courage to believe in what you're doing and accept the fact that everyone won't like it or you but at least you're driven by YOUR thinking.

I've always felt that a student can appreciate the "other" aspects of the artist and in that they can perhaps see the bigger picture. The music is only part of it.

Jae Sinnett