[JPL] announcing local events - Question

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Sat Jul 18 15:32:29 EDT 2009

I announce local gigs routinely, and occasionally play CD's by locals.  But
I can't be bothered with who contributes partly because I may get resentful
of the cheapskates.  I will inquire of our Development Department about the
giving histories of well-to-do listeners whom we may cultivate for higher
giving levels, but no one else.  To anyone (musician or otherwise) who
admits to me that they don't contribute, I make a firm and confident sales
pitch, which is usually persuasive.  (Would that we could make a personal
appeal to everyone of our 200,000 listeners!)  Where I try to be most
discerning in terms of announcements is the type of venue, not the
performer.  If the gig is background in a noisy restaurant, forget it, I'm
not doing free advertising for the kitchen.  But if it's a place where
people actually go to hear music, absolutely.

I could write a book on this one, including a couple of instances in which
adhering to company standards has resulted in personal consequence, but I'll
ask the question instead:  How many "enemies" have you created by refusing
to play not ready-for-prime-time recordings?

Tom Reney