[JPL] announcing local events - Question

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 15:57:54 EDT 2009

I'm with you here Tom..."cheapskates." It's getting to me so I have to regroup on how I approach this. I have many asking to support them my mentioning to our listeners where they're performing. I never use to ask them if they supported us but started doing so and checking. Now this is just my perspective...I started to realize the more I promoted them the more folks would come in asking us to do so. Trust me I want to support the area talent and at $35 for our basic yearly membership? Come on. I started noticing we would never hear from many of these folks during our membership drives. Poof! Off the face of the earth. After the drives are over they start calling again and emailing me info. I was curious as to how others dealt with this issue.

There is another side to this too. I had a musician become a member then he expected me to announce every hour where they were playing. Of course I didn't so now I'm not "supporting" the musicians. Then, if you do mention where they are playing and no one shows up then it's "our" fault because we didn't mention it enough. Couldn't be that no one was interested in seeing these folks play. Ya think?

Jae Sinnett