[JPL] announcing local events (musicians please read!)

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Sun Jul 19 08:36:32 EDT 2009

I think about this stuff a little bit differently. Richmond is a place with
a decent amount of talented musicians but lacks dedicated jazz venues. The
result is that people play in unusual places that aren't well publicized. I
think of it as a service to my audience to let them know about these
performances. On the other hand, sometimes national acts come through the
University of Richmond and there's not much pr work done to promote the
event. Obviously it's a benefit to the artists and the venues to announce
these things but the fact that they might have contributed financially to
the station never enters the equation. If anything it probably helps pave
the way for a contribution to be considered in the future.