[JPL] Regarding exposing young people to jazzp - Question

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 10:21:08 EDT 2009

That is exactly what I'm going through Dan. There is a strange disconnect with the musicians and many of those involved directly or indirectly in the jazz community. They're listening. They call me and ask questions. I hear it all the time but few are members...even at the basic level of $35 dollars. I agree with Peter that it's a public service we provide but now, at what expense to the jazz? People must know that this public service can't exist without "public" support. That message MUST get out if we're to survive. Can you imagine the complaints from that same group if the jazz disappeared? Then what would they do? I would bet...pay to get it somewhere else and at the point the free ride is over. One only knows what would happen if stations started charging for their streaming broadcasts.

I've had the same sense of bizarre reasoning as to why many don't support. I had a person tell me..."Why should I have to pay for listening to jazz on your station?" I responded...where are you going to hear jazz on the radio (besides smooth jazz but they're running ads to get you to buy whatever product they're pushing) that you don't have to pay for it to have that access? He responded..."On the internet." No shit. I said, ah, don't you pay for your internet service?

I have supported the local talent for years and years without one bit of questioning as to why many in that community don't support what we do. You're right Dan in that much of the music they buy they hear on our stations. I try to get the musicians to get the venues they are playing in to underwrite jazz programming. Few do so now I'm over it. Ironically, the majority of support from underwriting jazz receives comes from non-artistic sources...unless it's festival season. That's a very different story. Plus the station dropped down a new policy on "giving away" free air time. I understand because we no longer can afford to do it. There was a theory that if we promoted heavy the area performances and such with say - our concert calendars...that support would come in from those we're helping to promote. That's not happening. I would say that at least 80 percent of those on those calendars aren't giving you a dime.

Across the board in public radio...about one in ten...in our case one in eleven...that listen contribute. That research also tells us that our listeners have the highest income and educational levels. I'm very sensitive to the artists...I am one myself so I know the deal and the struggles many have. I've been there but even for me during those struggles I contributed at the basic level...at that time $25 per year...way before I started working here. Now the basic level is $35. For as much as they listen and what we provide them...you can't pay us that basic memembership? I now tell many who what us to promote what they do to underwrite. That way they can have all the promotion they want.

What is now bothering me is the fact many seem to take what we do for granted. It's obvious and it's a shame really because we provide a tremendous service and it deserves support. I do my part for sure. The more we give the more they want and when do we say enough?

Jae Sinnett