[JPL] announcing local events (musicians please read!)

ron-gill at att.net ron-gill at att.net
Sun Jul 19 12:23:09 EDT 2009

On Jul 18, 2009, at 11:23 PM, Susan Reeves wrote:

> JAZZWEEK SUMMIT 2010: JUNE 17-19, RADISSON RIVERSIDE HOTEL,
> ROCHESTER N.Y. -- Mark your calendar!

> ********

     Eric Jackson can support my comments here. When I was at WGBH in
Boston, they
     discontinued on air announcements. In fact Eric dedicated a part
of his program to
     announcing musicians gigs. They substituted that with enabling
musicians to place
     their events on the stations website for free. I don't know how
many of those musicians
     were members, but I do know that many musicians in Boston
supported the station.
     Eric may know better than I what that number may be.
     Of course, WGBH gave a lot of opportunity to musicians to get
exposure; live performances,
     interviews, etc. But, let me say this. Jazz musicians, in
particular, are their worse enemies.
     Only skills most of them have is related to their instrument and
playing it. Other publicity skills?
     Usually none. Even though it's gotten better because of
technology. They have no idea how
     important it is to become engaged in radio stations, jazz
writers, jazz organizations, etc.
     As the former president of the New England Jazz Alliance we used
to talk about this problem
     all the time about how musicians were disengaged in fostering
their own future in regard to
     organizations that could help them in exposing their art.
     Maybe it's time to tell them how important it is that they get
engaged. We ARE losing jazz
     stations and opportunities. When I left WGBH a few months ago,
they lost three (3) radio shows
     that gave them radio exposure.
     In the long run, that can hurt. I wonder how many of them
complained to WGBH that we were
     no longer on the air. I doubt any.
     Ron Gill