[JPL] Announcing local events

Cory Weeds cory at cellarjazz.com
Sun Jul 19 14:12:17 EDT 2009

I think we're on a slippery slope here regarding musicians being
expected to donate or contribute to their respective community radio
stations.  Im coming at this from a few angles. I have a radio show
that does 2 major fundraisers per year, I own a club and I am a
musician.  As a radio host I feel it is my responsibility to keep my
audience abreast as to what's happening on the local jazz scene
because I believe it all goes hand in hand in terms of garnering long
term support for the music.   Instead of expecting musicians to donate
dollars I do ask for a CD or two for a giveaway, and have also had
them come in play live in studio for free to enhance the show for my
listeners, therefore hopefully getting more donations.  I have found
as the host of the show musicians in general have been very very good
at letting me know when and where they're playing and requesting
interviews and making their music available etc. but in the event that
they don't, I certainly make the extra effort to find out what is
happening in the local clubs and make sure I mention it and encourage
people to go out and hear live jazz at any and every opportunity.

I think that the major responsibility should lie with the venues
themselves.  I as the owner of The Cellar am a yearly subscriber to
102.7 CFRO. I get a ton of advertising through them for free and the
value of that is impossible to figure out.  My donation is modest in
terms of dollar value but  I also  supply the other DJ's who do jazz
shows with countless CDs to give away on their shows to help raise
money. I also advertise my show in The Cellar calendar and on y
website etc. etc.  There are however a lot of venues that don't
support the station that I really think should.

This is just my two cents worth.

Cory Weeds
The Cellar - www.cellarjazz.com
Cellar Live - www.cellarlive.com
Chasin The Train Radio - www.coryweeds.com

Turner Music and the Cellar Restaurant and Jazz Club invite you to
join the
2010 Havana International Jazz Festival Tour.
On this stellar trip you'll enjoy unparalleled cultural insights and
get the
best seats at each Jazz Festival venue. The tour fills up fast!
To register and for more information check out http://jazzcuba.com/