[JPL] Announcing local events

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 14:37:53 EDT 2009

It's not a "slippery slope" Cory nor is anyone suggesting that musicians should be "expected" to support. That's not how I would phrase it. How about simply wanting to? For me as an artist too, it's common sense. Musicians want their music played then why not support the outlet that supports them? They paid to have their music recorded, packaged and distributed then why not support the outlets that play it? Where else will their music be played? Their support shows us they appreciate what we do for them. I agree again that we provide a public service but at some point someone has to say at the expense of what? I've even had musicians reluctant to send us CD's to help with our fundraisers and we played the CD! That said, I do realize some may not have that many to send out.

Times are tight and stations are struggling and logic would say you can't continue to give away free air time. And what is the amount of money we're talking about here? Jeez. In my view it's taking a free ride and advantage of a wonderful outlet. There is a dilemma in wanting to support the artists and not having the venues they play support as well. The businesses would love for us just to keep mentioning what's going on at their venue at no cost and some have played into this by knowing we have always supported the musicians and will mention. The dilemma is when neither the musician or venue support. I was taught if you want something...work and pay for it.

Jae Sinnett