[JPL] announcing local events (musicians please read!)

TradeSecrets/Mancuso's TradeSecrets at comcast.net
Sun Jul 19 15:10:23 EDT 2009

Tom, Jae, Susan et al -

It is very hard to decide when the musician ask for a gig announcement and
the jazz venue repeatedly puts their money elsewhere rather than
underwriting on the jazz station.

Having a local calendar where players post on the station website keeps it
local and focused on the station while keeping the on-air clean.
Announcements are just an invitation to visit the website for more info.
about all-things jazz in the XYZZ area.

Another way to bring musicians in is to invite them on to pitch during
pledge.  Our classical station does this very well. KMHD has done it
occasionally with good results.  I hope OPB, with their local-centric
approach, decides to use this for consistently.

This thread contains one of the panel topics I have a on list fo suggestions
for Brad for next years Summit 'Are jazz folks cheapskates?'

Good discussion!

Jan

Trade Secrets Consulting/KMHD
Portland, OR