[JPL] Fresh Air Spot - Montreal Jazz Fest

Doug%20Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 16:37:22 EDT 2009

I did hear the story.  Twice.  I wasn't the least bit offended by it.  Milo Miles is not a jazz critic.  His beat is world/global music.

Miles opined that jazz festivals are amongst the most inclusive musically of any sort of music festival.  Can't argue with that.  And that was the underlying premise of the performances that he reviewed.  I dare say he would be the first to say that  jazz concert reviews  be left to a jazz critics.

Now if only the organizers of  Jazz Aspen Snowmass  would bother to book an occasional jazz artist for their festival...

Fresh Air?  Much ado about nothing.  And don't forget Terry Gross is married to Francis Davis who IS a jazz critic (and a good one to boot).

But if you're looking for something to be legitimately outraged about, please follow this link: http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/wordsandmusic/archive/2009/07/02/maria-with-the-long-bare-arms.aspx

Jeff Heinrich's "review" of Maria Schneider's performance in Montreal is so off-the-mark, smug, ignorant, etc. that he should be banned from writing anything other than his name for all eternity.

Doug Crane

dcrane at comcast.net

KUVO Denver 89.3 FM