[JPL] Fresh Air Spot - Montreal Jazz Fest

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Jul 21 18:28:10 EDT 2009

I quite agree with Mr. Crane, and thanks for weighing in.  Montreal
books an amazing array of musics that reflect a more European approach
to programming a jazz festival, and as you say, at least they include
jazz, and lots of it.  I caught outstanding sets by Ornette Coleman,
George Wein, Bill Charlap & Houston Person, Greg Osby, and Kim Zombik in
the three days that I spent there last week.  The proliferation of
American-based jazz festivals that do not include jazz is what offends
me, though we're fortunate in New England to have several major fests
every summer that are a purist's delight.

I would add that in addition to being the spouse of Francis Davis, Terri
Gross probably includes more jazz content in Fresh Air than any other
nationally-distributed public radio show, with regular reviews by Kevin
Whitehead, theme music by the Microscopic Septet, and over the years,
insightful interviews with many jazz greats.  She knows and respects the
music.  And she's even shown up at the JJA banquets to present awards.

Tom Reney

Doug%20Crane wrote:
> This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton, "Twilight & Blues"

> I did hear the story.  Twice.  I wasn't the least bit offended by it.  Milo Miles is not a jazz critic.  His beat is world/global music.
>

> Miles opined that jazz festivals are amongst the most inclusive musically of any sort of music festival.  Can't argue with that.  And that was the underlying premise of the performances that he reviewed.  I dare say he would be the first to say that  jazz concert reviews  be left to a jazz critics.
>

> Now if only the organizers of  Jazz Aspen Snowmass  would bother to book an occasional jazz artist for their festival...
>

> Fresh Air?  Much ado about nothing.  And don't forget Terry Gross is married to Francis Davis who IS a jazz critic (and a good one to boot).
>

> But if you're looking for something to be legitimately outraged about, please follow this link: http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/wordsandmusic/archive/2009/07/02/maria-with-the-long-bare-arms.aspx
>

> Jeff Heinrich's "review" of Maria Schneider's performance in Montreal is so off-the-mark, smug, ignorant, etc. that he should be banned from writing anything other than his name for all eternity.
>

> Doug Crane
>
> dcrane at comcast.net
>
> KUVO Denver 89.3 FM

Tom Reney