[JPL] tony bennett at tanglewood

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Jul 21 23:27:37 EDT 2009

The drive home was even worse than the drive out, but we had to attend
Tony Bennett's magnificent concert in the Shed tonight.  Gray Sargent,
gtr., Lee Musiker, piano, Marshall Wood, bass, Harold Jones, drums, all
given generous showcases and playing beautifully.  Jones, who spent
years with Count Basie, plays the quietest, hard swinging stick I've
ever heard, and was featured on It Don't Mean a Thing.  Gray played 2-
to 4-bar quotes from various weather songs all night, Isn't This a
Lovely Day, Stormy Weather, etc.  Marshall duoed w Bennett on Speak
Low.  I've seen Bennett about 10 times.  He'll turn 83 on 8/3, and he's
still so complete, even a lot of dance steps, more than usual, and those
amazing pipes.  He sang several ballads with Gray out front playing at
the softest level imaginable and still saying so much.  These guys are
able to make it a wonderful musical adventure because Bennett himself is
so jazz oriented.  He forgot the words mid-way through The Best Is Yet
to Come, admitted it, then said to the guys, "Keep going.  You're
swinging so much!"  His last recording of Christmas songs with the Basie
band showed some decline, but it must have been the day or the date, as
he was really strong in this 75 minute show tonight.  Of course, the
adoration helps.  There must have been 10 standing ovations, and he
returns the applause with vigorous claps of his own toward the crowd and
the cats on the band.  He concluded with a spine-tingling How Do You
Keep the Music Playing and sustained the song's penultimate word,
"never," for about 16 bars.  He took a few bows, but didn't return to
sing anything else.
No one felt cheated.

Tom

--