[JPL] Horace Clarence Boyer, R.I.P., gospel singer and scholar

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Jul 23 08:48:06 EDT 2009

Tom Reney wrote:

> Horace was a vibrant presence in the UMass community for decades, a
> mentor to many, myself and Avery Sharpe included.  He was also a
> generous supporter of Jazz a la Mode and WFCR.  He joined me on many
> occasions during fund drives, and those are among the most memorable and
> successful nights I've ever had.  He'd rattle the plate like he was
> collecting for a church service and encourage the "backsliders" to come
> through with contributions.  I'll dedicate tonight's show to his memory.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting the sad news. Where was that article from?

Even if you aren't familiar with his name, there is a good chance that
you've seen or heard Horace speak. He was in a large number of
documentaries, discussing African American religious music on both radio
and T.V.

Years ago I was going to take some time off from work to take a short (a
week, maybe, I can't remember) course at New England Conservatory with
Horace teaching on African American religious music. Unfortunately, not
enough people signed up so the class was canceled. I was very
disappointed that I couldn't take the class.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz