[JPL] A Strange question about Sun Ra

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Jul 24 23:03:06 EDT 2009

I am not a Sun Ra expert at all, but I heard the Arkestra playing Yeah
Man! and other Henderson charts virtually every time I saw them.  I
don't know of anything he made when he played with Henderson at the
DeLisa, but he appeared under his original moniker Sonny Blount on a
number of dates in the 40's and 50's, including Wynonie Harris, Red
Saunders, and Joe Williams

Tom Reney

Peter Solomon wrote:
> This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton, "Twilight & Blues"

> Just had a strange call from a listener that said thirty years ago in
> Philadelphia he heard a cut on the radio that featured Sun Ra playing with
> Fletcher Henderson. I read that Sun Ra played piano in Henderson's Chicago
> Club De Lisa in the late forties but I told him that a Fletcher Henderson
> recording with Sun Ra sounded unlikely.I think maybe the listener heard a
> recording by Sun Ra of Henderson tunes, which would sound plausible. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Lisa Hilton: "Twilight & Blues"  August release
>
> Lisa Hilton/piano, Larry Grenadier/bass, Lewis Nash/drums/Jeremy Pelt/trumpet, J. D. Allen/sax
>
> "Forget all of the piano sensations that are out there - the best newer voice out there lives in Malibu: Lisa Hilton.....The whole disc has an  ambience that draws you in while swinging with emotion....The band shows its chops....Thoughtful and well crafted from start to finish, this is a must have for jazz fans".  George Harris/All About Jazz
>
> "A stellar lineup...Ms. Hilton demonstrates her maturity as a pianist enough that any listener will appreciate her gift".  Eric Cohen/WAER Radio, NY
>
> "Hilton uses blue notes to create an intimate world of beauty that is true to the artist she is. Hilton's orignality of vision is her strength, and her light touch is as lovely as she is and as addictive as the waves breaking near her Malibu home."  Brad Walseth/Jazz Chicago.net
>
> "Exciting for the listener... hot stuff".  Chris Spector/Midwest Record
>
> Distributed by Super D.  www.LisaHiltonMusic.com  Promotion by JazzzDog

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.