[JPL] Bobby Jackson

Ken Irwin - WMUA Jazz Music Dir. ken-irwin at comcast.net
Sat Jul 25 16:15:23 EDT 2009

Bobby,
I am saddened by the news that you have been let go at WCPN. Sadly this trend of cutting back on local personalities involved in jazz programming seems to be an epidemic lately. When confronted by a difficult economic outlook, the bean-counters invariably use little imagination in their response. The easiest way to cut cost is to cut jobs. No people is cheaper than people. Syndication is cheaper than original programming. We all get it! What we need are more courageous and creative bean counters. Good luck with that. I consider myself very fortunate to know you Bobby. Yours is an original and important voice in the music world. Your enthusisasm is contagious, and your participation is needed. My thoughts are with you as you look forward to your next enterprise, whatever it might be. You belong on the radio sharing all you are. I am hopeful that your return will be soon.
Ken

Ken Irwin
Jazz Music Director and Host of "Java Jazz"
WMUA - FM
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
105 Lincoln Campus Center
Amherst, MA 01003