[JPL] KMHD Portland's new contact info

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 01:24:03 EDT 2009

I sent out an earlier e-mail that I don't think made it out there so
here goes round two.

First to the JPL family....Heart felt thanks to all the voices who
have expressed concern and regrets of the demise of local jazz at
WCPN.  A greater family than our jazz family does not exist.  I'm
grateful to be counted in your ranks.  The task in Cleveland was
difficult to begin with and not altogether unexpected in terms of its
outcome.  I gave it my best, learned a lot along the way and don't
know what I would have done here differently working with the tool box
I was given.  For my own effort, I have no regrets.  I've been a true
warrior.

As for Bob Parlocha and Dinner Jazz, I respect Bob for his acumen as a
jazz broadcaster.  However, I just don't think syndication works as
well as local jazz presenters any more than NPR news works in lieu of
locally based newscasts and reporters.  Cheaper out of necessity I
guess, but certainly less than....

This evening, my wife was entertaining some girl friends who paid us a
visit tonight and I put on some music for them.  It hit me then that
Cleveland would not have any local flavor in terms of music and that
was depressing.  I have no desire to work, teach or live in a city
that doesn't have a radio station committed to jazz.  I've never had
to do that before and I don't want to do it now or in the future.  I'm
actually looking to head home (NYC) or to wind up in New England if I
can swing that.  You never know what life will bring so I choose to
remain optimistic.

I've always maintained we jazz stations are like fish swimming in a
barrel.  This time I got shot.  I hope none of you have to endure this
kind of hardship but we all know this isn't over just yet.  I'm just
beginning this journey to the next phase of my life and work so
everything is all very hazy for me right now.  I remember many going
through this including my brother from another mother Arturo Gomez.  I
have major concerns about my family and health insurance costs.  That
is scary considering the times we live in.  I'll be glad when I find
something and can settle into new routines.  There may be a
possibility of me doing work on the internet and I'm having
discussions about that right now, including lending some positive
energy to it.  It's not a situation that will allow me to pay my bills
right away or afford me health care but it is something to look
forward to.  I'm not ready to be put out to pasture just yet.  Please
keep me in your thoughts to possibilities that may open up out here.

I applied for the job in Portland.  The search committee was very kind
and very committed to finding the right person to fit in their
community.  I was impressed by their commitment to jazz and wish them
well.  I heard there were over 80 applicants for the job.   I am
grateful for the opportunity to speak with them as I'm sure they
didn't interview everyone who applied.  Of course, I was disappointed
that they didn't call my name but  I want to extend my best wishes
to KMHD and Matt Fleeger as he begins his journey of shepherding jazz
for OPB/KMHD.  There are some great people who work at that shop such
as my dear friends Jan and Rick Mancuso.  Considering musicians like
bassists Ben Wolfe and Esperanza Spaulding who cut their eyeteeth in
that community learning jazz it seems like a great situation to be in,
not to mention the progressiveness of the city.  It's encouraging to
see a community that actually GETS it and is committed to making local
jazz their programming flagship and to fight to make jazz work in
their community.  Who knew that local jazz would be more important to
communities like Portland over places like Chicago and Cleveland??
Who knew???  Keep swingin' and fighting for this music!!!  Trust that
I will too.....

Aloha,

Bobby Jackson