[JPL] Fwd: KBCS Program Changes

MFA - Jazz Radio Promotion, Publicity & Consulting mitchellfeldmanassociates at comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 19:37:09 EDT 2009

Per what Bill Barton Posted Above

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "KBCS 91.3 FM" <ujohnson at kbcs.fm>
> Date: 22 July 2009 13:18:19 EDT
> To: mitchellfeldmanassociates at comcast.net
> Subject: KBCS Program Changes

> At KBCS, we’re continually working to better serve our listening
> community. This ongoing effort has helped us understand how our
> listeners use KBCS as well as other radio stations, and it’s helped
> us determine what we believe a thriving community-service and
> listener-focused station should look and sound like.
>
> KBCS is and will remain a station that prides itself on being a
> place for community volunteers to learn broadcasting and to be radio
> programmers. For more than two decades, there have been countless
> volunteers who have put immense amounts of energy, time, and passion
> into the radio shows they create at KBCS. And, as we move ahead,
> there will be countless others who will join current KBCS volunteer
> programmers and continue this important tradition. As KBCS staff, we
> have the deepest gratitude for the commitment and dedication of all
> station volunteers, past, present, and future.
>
> The reality KBCS faces is, quite frankly, one of declining
> membership and listening. To us, this has been a clear indicator
> that we’re not serving our audience as well as we could. Most
> importantly, we also see this as an opportunity to do just that.
>
> Over the last three years, KBCS has undergone a rigorous process to
> better understand our audience and to formulate a cohesive strategic
> plan. This has involved hours of interviews, volunteer and community
> meetings, street corner surveys, as well as extensive consideration
> of when and how KBCS listeners currently listen to us. This work has
> led us to the new programming we’ll present next month, programming
> we believe will offer deeper service to our listeners.
>
> So, beginning August 24th, 2009, KBCS will:
>
> Expand weekday public affairs programming from 5 to 9 a.m., offering
> Public Radio International’s The Takeaway from 5 to 8 a.m., followed
> by Pacifica Radio’s Democracy Now! from 8 to 9 a.m. Both shows will
> be hosted by local community members trained in the KBCS public
> affairs department.
> Bring on longtime KBCS host John Gilbreath every weekday from 9 a.m.
> to noon. John’s show, The Caravan, will be a daily musical journey
> touching on many genres, and focusing on his extensive knowledge of
> jazz, world, and Americana.
> Feature current veteran KBCS hosts weekdays from 12 noon to 3 p.m.,
> who will present programming spanning the breadth of the American
> music tradition, from the early days of country, folk, blues, and
> beyond, to today’s singer-songwriters and local artists crafting new
> music not heard anywhere else.
> Expand weekday public affairs programming by offering a re-broadcast
> of Democracy Now! at 3 p.m., followed by The Michael Eric Dyson Show
> at 4 p.m.
> Air locally produced programs Listen Up Northwest, Voices of
> [...]
____________________________________
mfa - mitchell feldman associates
...radio promotion, publicity & consulting for the international jazz
community

2059 Heckle Street
Augusta, GA 30904 / USA
Phone:	(+1) 706.550.0263
MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
www.MitchellFeldmanAssociates.com
www.JazzRadioPromotionAndPublicity.com
SKYPE = birdmonk

Finalist - 2008 JazzWeek Indie Jazz Radio Promoter of The Year

P please consider the environment before printing this e-mail