[JPL] The Jazz Session #68: E.J. Strickland! Plus, fight cancer and win jazz prizes!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jul 27 07:04:19 EDT 2009

Hello friends,

Last week was quite a week. I conducted two of my favorite interviews
thus far out of the 300+ I've done in my career. On Wednesday night, I
interviewed Carl Allen ... at about midnight ... at my parents' dining
room table in Manhattan. Definitely the coolest thing to happen at that
table, and one of the coolest guys I've spoken with. We talked a lot
about Carl's musical choices and his decision to play what he likes. He
and Rodney Whitaker have a new album out on Mack Avenue Records called
Work To Do. Look for that interview in the next couple weeks.

On Thursday, I had the extreme pleasure of spending half an hour with
Terence Blanchard. It turns out that he's as wonderful a human being as
he is a musician. We had a wide-ranging conversation about his new
record, the state of things in New Orleans, and how the arts stand up in
the face of tragedy. That interview will air on August 17, the day
before Terence's new album, Choices, is released on Concord Records.
(Later that evening, I got to watch Terence's band tear it up at the
Jazz Standard. Wow!)

This week, drummer E.J. Strickland talks about his path from Miami to
New York in pursuit of his musical vision. See below for more.

In the weeks ahead: Christian McBride, Carl Allen, Terence Blanchard,
Gene Ludwig, Bill Anschell & Brent Jensen, and more!

FUNDRAISING UPDATE!

As you know, I'm riding my bike in the LIVESTRONG Challenge ride on
August 23 to fight cancer. I'm trying to raise $1,926 (in honor of the
year of John Coltrane's birth), and I need YOUR help. For every $5 you
donate here:

http://philly09.livestrong.org/jasoncrane

...you'll get a raffle ticket. On August 30, after the ride, I'll draw
winners, and then announce the prizes on the August 31 episode of The
Jazz Session. The prizes include autographed CDs; LP reissues; a pair of
lawn seats to see a rare duet performance with pianists Kenny Barron and
Mulgrew Miller at Tanglewood; and a pair of tickets to see Dave Brubeck
in Pittsfield, MA, on October 17. Tanglewood and Pittsfield are an easy
trip from NYC, Boston, Albany, Hartford and many other places. So
remember, donate today via the link above.

Also, if you're a musician or a record promoter or an agent, and you're
able to donate CDs, t-shirts, concert tickets, autographed items, etc.,
please contact me at jason at thejazzsession.com.

Thank you in advance for whatever you can contribute.

And now, on to the update...

*********************************
*** NEW EPISODE! ***
*********************************

THE JAZZ SESSION #68: E.J. STRICKLAND. Jason Crane interviews drummer
and composer E.J. Strickland. Strickland’s new album is called In This
Day (Strick Muzik, 2009). E.J. and his twin brother Marcus grew up in
Miami, sons of a musical father. They knew early on that they wanted to
be musicians, and they’ve pursued that path with a single-minded
devotion. On In This Day, E.J. Strickland’s vision is realized not just
from the drum chair, but compositionally as well. He wrote or co-wrote
every tune on the record.

HOW TO LISTEN:

1. Visit <http://thejazzsession.com> and use the easy built-in player

2. If you use iTunes, clicking on the following link will open iTunes,
subscribe you to the show, and download the most recent episode. This
really helps the show grow, so please use this method if you can:
<itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast>

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

*** PLEASE HELP ME FIGHT CANCER!