[JPL] George Russell R.I.P.

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Tue Jul 28 09:15:18 EDT 2009

I think I interviewed George for the first time back in 1972 when I
worked for WBCN. Through the years, I think I must have interviewed him
at least a dozen times. I've always said that George Russell was the
most challenging person I ever interviewed. And by that I don't mean
that he was in any way unfriendly. No, he was always very warm. But he
had a language that he used that in all my many interviews I never heard
other musicians use unless they had been his students. I think I had to
grow to interview him and I do think I got better at interviewing him as
the years went by. I hope he thought so.

It was always a joy to see George, usually he was very warm and friendly
with a great smile. And to see George conduct his band was also
something special to watch. He moved, danced across the stage, cueing
this section and then another while energetically directing the orchestra.

Through the years my father has often co-hosted my show with me. George
would sometimes call to say hello to my father. And often when I talked
to George he would ask about my father and tell me how much he enjoyed
the show when my father was on.

I have done tributes to George on his birthday a number of times
throughout the years. Sometimes he would call in to say he was
listening. I remember once when I was doing one of my birthday tributes
to him he called and sang Happy Birthday to himself.

Years ago I interviewed South African pianist Abdullah Ibrahim and
bassist Jimmy Blanton's name came up in our conversation. I said that I
thought that Blanton was one of the most important musicians in the
history of American music and hardly any one knows who he is. Abdullah
replied that Blanton was one of the most important musicians in the
history of music in the world and hardly any one knew who he was. Well
certainly lots of musicians knew who George was as he taught his Lydian
Chromatic Concept for over 30 years at New England Conservatory. And I
saw yesterday that someone called him "the father of Kind Of Blue." Of
course, countless tunes show his influence as do a large number of
musicians.

Last fall there was a performance of George's music here in town. I
tried to interview George. George's wife Alice said to me, "I think
George's interviewing days are over." I was stunned to find out he was
losing his hearing. I can't imagine what that must have been like for him.

R.I.P. George. I'll miss you. Thank you for the music.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz