[JPL] pronunciation help

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 15:34:39 EDT 2009

Elizabeth Farriss wrote:

> Can someone help me with the pronunciation of Pharoah Sanders "Tauhid"?  (1967, Impulse)

The first syllable is similar to the first syllable of towel. The second
syllable is pronounced like the word heed.

It refers to the Oneness of God (as opposed to a concept of duality or
Trinitarianism.) It is a fundamental belief for a Muslim.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz