[JPL] JzFmS4 PLAYLIST WGBH BOSTON 5/1/2009

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat May 2 08:42:40 EDT 2009

Jazz From Studio Four

Friday, May 1, 8pm–midnight, WGBH 89.7

HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY:MUSIC RECORDED IN 1959
SHIRLEY HORN (b. 5/1/1934)
WHAT'S NEW

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Jimmy Smith; recorded in 1959: See See Rider, Home Cookin' (Blue Note)
Shelly Manne; recorded in 1959: Blue Daniel, At The Blackhawk, Volume i
Abbey Lincoln; recorded in 1959: Long As You're Living, Abbey Is Blues (Riverside)

8:28pm
Donal Fox; @ RegattaBar, Cambridge; 5/2/2009:
Mr. Syms, The Scarlatti Jazz Suite Project (Leonellis Music)
Adam Shulman: Take Notice (Moment's Notice), Patterns of Change (Kabocha Records)
Scotty Barnhart: Giant Steps, Say It Plain (DIG)

8:55pm
Stuff Smith; featuring Shirley Horn:
A Foggy Day; I Love You Porgy; Love is Here to Stay, Cat on A Hot Fiddle (Verve)
Shirley Horn: All or Nothing At All, The Main Ingredient (Verve)

9:15pm
Lee Konitz; recorded in 1959: Palo Alto, Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre (Verve)
Jackie McLean; recorded in 1959: Quadrangle, Jackie's Bag (Blue Note)
Phil Woods; recorded in 1959: Lemon Drop, Early Quintets (Prestige)
Ornette Coleman; recorded in 1959: Lorraine, Tomorrow Is The Question! (Contemporary)

9:39pm
Allen Toussaint: Bright Mississippi, The Bright Mississippi (Nonesuch)
Lynne Arriale: I Mean You, Nuance (Motema)
Sean Lyons: Ask Me Now, Roar of Lyons (Positone)

10:02pm
Shirley Horn: In The Dark; For All We Know; Nice And Easy; Here's To Life,
Live at Sanders Theater, Cambridge, MA. 9/21/2002 (ONLY ON 89.7FM)

10:23pm
Mabel Mercer; recorded in 1959: You Fascinate Me, Merely Marvelous (Atlantic)
Big Joe Turner; recorded in 1959: Until The Real Thing Comes Along, Big Joe Rides Again (Atlantic)
Ray Charles; recorded in 1959: When Your Lover Has Gone, The Genius of Ray Charles (Atlantic)
Helen Merrill; recorded in 1959: Any Time, American Country Songs (Atco)

10:37pm
Joey DeFrancesco: Strollin', Finger Poppin' (Doodlin' Music)
Kermit Ruffins: Song For My Father, Livin' a Treme Life (Basin Street Records)
Horace Silver: Cool Eyes, Live at Newport 1958 (Blue Note)

11:04pm
Shirley Horn: Like Someone in Love; Come Rain or Come Shine; I Thought About You,
Embers and Ashes (Hi-Life LP)
Shirley Horn: Travelin' Light; I Could Have Told You So; I Want to Be With You,
Travelin' Light (Impulse/GRP LP)

11:24pm
Chris Byars: Blue Lights, Blue Lights The Music of Gigi Gryce (Steeplechase)
Roberta Gamborini; Hank Jones: Reminiscing (Gryce), You Are There (Emarcy)
James Carter: Hymn of The Orient (Gryce), PresentTense (Emarcy)

11:44pm
Mal Waldron; recorded in 1959: All The Way, Impressions (Prestige New Jazz)
Bill Evans; recorded in 1959: Green Dolphin Street, Everybody Digs Bill Evans (Riverside)

11:57pm
Sonny Stitt; recorded in 1959: I Got Rhythm, The Hard Swing (Verve)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive
WGBH Radio productions and are not commercially available.