[JPL] cleaning up the list

Lloyd Townsend, Jr. jazz at imaginaryrecords.com
Mon May 4 21:18:08 EDT 2009

Roy:

I, for one, appreciate the links to the NYTimes articles.  While I
get the NYTimes daily email, I'd miss 80% of these music articles if
you didn't dig them out and post them.  They're easy enough to delete
if you're not interested.

(For those who complain because they get tons of email daily -- I'm
one of them, too; usually 200+ from various listservs, business, and
personal.  The delete key is my friend!)

Daily playlists for shows that run 5-7 days a week for one or two
hours could be summarized weekly, but I don't really have a problem
with them as is because it takes only a couple of seconds to review
them and confirm that no one's played one of my catalog releases yet
again -- because it's great to see them when something *does* get a
spin.

My take on playlists is this:  too many of them are difficult to scan
quickly!  99.9% of us look for the artist first, then check the rest
of the detail.  Putting the track title, the exact broadcast time,
every PSA run in the program (along with gobs of other broadcast
detail), or even the track's author or publisher (!) first really
increases the time it takes to process the playlist -- so most of
those get the delete key immediately.  It takes too long to read
them!  I'm really happy that I don't have to go through them all to
produce a weekly or monthly airplay chart, and really appreciate the
work done by those who DO produce the charts.

Just the opinion of one of the tiniest cogs in the music machine....

Lloyd Townsend
Prop., Imaginary Records