[JPL] response to royalties question

Bob Rogers taintradio at gmail.com
Wed May 6 00:43:51 EDT 2009

From: Lazaro Vega <wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com>
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:24:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [JPL] help to understand radio Royalty system
I think we all pay ASCAP or BMI royalties, as well as a flat fee
royalty for streaming on the web. The only out is to be a talk
station.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio

***
Lazaro, that's not quite right.  The question that was raised pertained to
performance royalties.  ASCAP, BMI & SESAC payments are for music licensing,
which goes to songwriters.  Internet radio pays performance rights but
terrestrial radio does not.  As an internet station, taintradio is not
complaining about paying performance rights.  But we very much hope that
radio is soon forced to pay them as well.  To us it's a simple matter of
fairness.

--
Bob Rogers
taintradio.org