[JPL] Musicos mexicanos

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Wed May 6 15:29:40 EDT 2009

At 12:32 PM 5/6/2009 -0600, you wrote:
>Trumper Luis Gasca, drummer Antonio Sánchez, trombonist Steve Turre and his
>2 musician brothers, percussionist Idelfonso “Poncho” Sánchez, pianist Eddie
>Cano, vibist Bobby Montez, bassist Victor Venegas are just a few prominent
>Mexican or US born of Mexican descent musicians whom have participated in
>jazz.  By the way Mexicans as all other western hemisphere citizens are
>Americans as well.
>
>Larry Coryell is of Mexican descent on his mother’s side. There was a
>significant Mexican musicians presence in New Orleans in the late 1800s and
>Sydney Bechet’s first music teacher was a Mexican. To this day in the French
>Quarter there is a tribute monument to Mexico’s Benito Juárez on Rampart
>Street.
>Arturo
>
>--

Saxophonist Tony Malaby and his pianist wife Angelica Sanchez are of Mexican
descent too, I think.  And probably trumpeter Dennis Gonzalez and his two
musican
sons from Dallas.

I've had occasion in the past to play some music by members of the current
Mexican
jazz scene:  Nicolas Santella piano, Aaron Cruz bass, Hernan Hecht drums
and Gabriel
Hernandez keyboards.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg