[JPL] Top Releases of 1959

Tom Tallitsch modernjazzradioshow at gmail.com
Wed May 6 18:57:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

I may be wrong, however 3 cutting edge albums from 3 different styles
of jazz may have been recorded in 59 (not necessarily released that
year).   These 3 speak for themselves as to their contribution to jazz
history, and their influence on musicians in the coming years.

Kind of blue (miles) - modal
The shape of jazz to come (ornette) - free
Giant steps (coltrane) - hard bop / coltrane changes & harmony.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, since I am sitting in my car
right now (not driving though).

Tom tallitsch

On 5/6/09, TomtheJazzman <tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> We have all hear about several of the TOP releases of 1959:
> Miles David - Kind Of Blue
> Dave Brubeck - Time Out
> Charles Mingus -AH UM
> Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
> Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
>
>  Please add to the list others from 1959 that were favorites of yours.
> Many of these have endured for 50 years even though they had bad press
> in 1959.  An example was Gil Evans working with Miles on Miles Ahead.
>
> ALOHA
> Tom

Sent from my mobile device

Tom Tallitsch -
Saxophonist, Composer, Origin/OA2 Records Artist, Music Educator, and
Jazz Radio Host

MJ airs every Thursday evening from 8-10pm on WWFM 89.1 HD2 in
Trenton/Princeton, NJ
You can check the show out online @ http://www.jazzon2.org/
All shows and playlists are archived @ http://www.tomtallitschblog.com/

http://www.tomtallitsch.com/