[JPL] Top Releases of 1959

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed May 6 19:22:34 EDT 2009

Tom,

Here's where reading playlists comes in handy, these are some from 1959
I used around the anniversary of the KOB April 22 recording date:

Jazz: 1959 Recordings - Miles Davis & Gil Evans "Sketches Of Spain" &
George Russell NY,NY for Monday April 20, 2009 with George Thomas

Playlist

08:20 PM
Concierto De Aranjuez (Adagio)
Artist Name         Miles Davis & Gil Evans
Composer         J. Rodrigo
Arranger         Gil Evans
Conductor         Gil Evans
Soloists         Miles Davis-Trumpet, Flugelhorn ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy
Cobb-Drums
CD/Album         Sketches Of Spain
Record co./Cat #         Columbia/Legacy 712762
Release Year         1959
Note         Recorded the same year as Kind Of Blue

08:40 PM
Big City Blues
Artist Name         George Russell
Composer         George Russell
Arranger         George Russell
Conductor         George Russell
Soloists         Benny Golson-Tenor Sax ; Art Farmer-Trumpet ; Bill
Evans-Piano ;
Narrator-Jon Hendricks ; Milt Hinton-Bass ; Charlie Persip-Drums
CD/Album         New York, N.Y.
Record co./Cat #         Impulse! 278
Release Year         1959
Note         Recorded the same year as Kind Of Blue

Jazz: 1959 - Recordings Done 50 Years Ago for Tuesday April 21, 2009 with
George Thomas

Playlist

08:00 PM
Nice Work If You Can Get It
Artist Name         Ella Fitzgerald
Composer         Gershwin & Gershwin
Soloists         Ella Fitzgerald-Vocals ; Nelson Riddle-Orchestra
CD/Album         Sings The George And Ira Gershwin Songbook
Record co./Cat #         Verve 422 825024-2
Release Year         1959

08:04 PM
Blue Rondo A La Turk
Artist Name         The Dave Brubeck Quartet
Composer         Dave Brubeck
Soloists         Dave Brubeck-Piano ; Paul Desmond-Alto Sax
CD/Album         Time Out
Record co./Cat #         Columbia 40585
Release Year         1959

08:11 PM
Who's Got Rhythm
Artist Name         Gerry Mulligan - Ben Webster
Composer         Gerry Mulligan
Soloists         Gerry Mulligan-Baritone Sax ; Ben Webster-Tenor Sax ; Jimmy
Rowles-Piano ; Leroy Vinnegar-Bass ; Mel Lewis-Drums
CD/Album         Meets
Record co./Cat #         Verve 841 661-2
Release Year         1959

08:19 PM
Spring Is Here
Artist Name         Bill Evans
Composer         Rodgers & Hart
Soloists         Bill Evans-Piano ; Scott LaFaro-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album         Portrait In Jazz
Record co./Cat #         Riverside/OJC 088-2
Release Year         1959

08:29 PM
Skating In Central Park
Artist Name         The Modern Jazz Quartet
Composer         John Lewis
Soloists         Milt Jackson-Vibes ; John Lewis-Piano ; Percy Heath-Bass ;
Connie Kay-Drums
CD/Album         Odds Against Tomorrow
Record co./Cat #         Blue Note Records 7-93415-2
Release Year         1959

08:34 PM
Sister Sadie
Artist Name         Horace Silver
Composer         Horace Silver
Soloists         Horace Silver-Piano ; Junior Cook-Tenor Sax ; Blue
Mitchell-Trumpet ; Louis Hayes-Drums
CD/Album         The Best Of The Blue Note Years
Record co./Cat #         Blue Note Records 7-91143-2
Release Year         1959

08:38 PM
Twisted
Artist Name         Lambert, Hendricks & Ross
Composer         A.Ross / W. Gray
Soloists         Harry "Sweets" Edison-Trumpet ; Annie Ross-Vocals
CD/Album         The Hottest New Group In Jazz
Record co./Cat #         Columbia/Legacy 64933-2
Release Year         1959

08:43 PM
Swing Low Sweet Cadillac
Artist Name         Dizzy Gillespie
Composer         Dizzy Gillespie
Soloists         Dizzy Gillespie-Trumpet, Vocals ; Junior Mance-Piano ; Les
Spann-Guitar ; Sam Jones-Bass ; Lex Humphries-Drums
CD/Album         Verve/Philips Small Group Gillespie
Record co./Cat #         Mosaic 7-234
Release Year         1959

08:50 PM
Hipsippy Blues
Artist Name         Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers
Composer         Hank Mobley
Soloists         Lee Morgan-Trumpet ; Hank Mobley-Tenor Sax ; Bobby
Timmons-Piano
; Jymie Merritt-Bass ; Art Blakey-Drums
CD/Album         At The Jazz Corner Of The World
Record co./Cat #         Blue Note Records 8 28888 2
Release Year         1959

09:02 PM
Swingin'
Artist Name         Kenny Burrell
Composer         Clifford Brown
Soloists         Tina Brooks-Tenor Sax ; Kenny Burrell-Guitar ; Bobby
Timmons-Piano ; Ben Tucker-Bass ; Art Blakey-Drums
CD/Album         At The Five Spot Cafe
Record co./Cat #         Blue Note Records 7-46538-2
Release Year         1959

09:12 PM
Monk's Mood
Artist Name         Thelonious Monk
Composer         Thelonious Monk
Arranger         Hal Overton & Thelonious Monk
Soloists         Thelonious Monk-Piano ; Donald Byrd-Trumpet ; Phil
Woods-Alto
Sax ; Robert Northern-French Horn ; Charlie Rouse-Tenor Sax ; Pepper
Adams-Baritone Sax
CD/Album         Thelonious Monk Orchestra At Town Hall
Record co./Cat #         Riverside/OJC 135-2
Release Year         1959

09:25 PM
Falling In Love With Love
Artist Name         Wes Montgomery
Composer         Rodgers & Hart
Soloists         Wes Montgomery-Guitar ; Pony Poindexter-Alto Sax ; Buddy
Montgomery-Piano ; Monk Montgomery-Bass ; Louis Hayes-Drums
CD/Album         Far Wes
Record co./Cat #         Pacific Jazz 7 94475 2
Release Year         1959

09:31 PM
Way Early Subtone
Artist Name         Duke Ellington
Composer         Duke Ellington
CD/Album         Anatomy Of A Murder (soundtrack)
Record co./Cat #         Columbia/Legacy 65569
Release Year         1959

09:35 PM
Down In The Depths
Artist Name         Wayne Shorter
Composer         Wayne Shorter
Soloists         Lee Morgan-Trumpet ; Wayne Shorter-Tenor Sax ; Wynton
Kelly-Piano ; Paul Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy Cobb-Drums
CD/Album         Introducing
Record co./Cat #         Koch Jazz 8547
Release Year         1959

09:48 PM
Lonely Woman
Artist Name         Ornette Coleman
Composer         Ornette Coleman
Soloists         Ornette Coleman-Alto Sax ; Don Cherry-Trumpet ; Charlie
Haden-Bass ; Billy Higgins-Drums
CD/Album         The Shape Of Jazz To Come
Record co./Cat #         Atlantic 1317
Release Year         1959

09:52 PM
Naima
Artist Name         John Coltrane
Composer         John Coltrane
Soloists         John Coltrane-Tenor Sax ; Wynton Kelly-Piano ; Paul
Chambers-Bass ; Jimmy Cobb-Drums
CD/Album         Giant Steps
Record co./Cat #         Atlantic 81337-2
Release Year         1959

09:57 PM
Come Rain Or Come Shine
Artist Name         Bill Evans
Composer         Arlen, Mercer
Soloists         Bill Evans-Piano ; Scott LaFaro-Bass ; Paul Motian-Drums
CD/Album         Portrait In Jazz
Record co./Cat #         Riverside/OJC 088-2
Release Year         1959

> We have all hear about several of the TOP releases of 1959:
> Miles David - Kind Of Blue
> Dave Brubeck - Time Out
> Charles Mingus -AH UM
> Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
> Miles Davis - Miles Ahead
>
>  Please add to the list others from 1959 that were favorites of yours.
> Many of these have endured for 50 years even though they had bad press
in 1959.  An example was Gil Evans working with Miles on Miles Ahead.

> ALOHA
> Tom
> --

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas